Connect with us


England 1-2 Germany

England fell to a late defeat against Germany in front of a crowd of just shy of 80,000 at Wembley, Ellen White’s goal either side of an Alex Popp header and a Klara Bühl drive a mere conciliation.

Fast start

Given a scare less than five minutes in when Alex Popp drew a fingertip save from Mary Earps, with the Manchester United woman touching the ball against the bar for the first corner of the game. However, England didn’t heed the warning and were trudging back to the centre circle nine minutes in when Alex Popp got on the end of Kathrin Hedrich’s cross to nod Germany into the lead.

Buoyed by the crowd, the Lionesses found more joy in the latter stages of the first half, using the wide areas to bypass the congested midfield. Given a golden chance to equalise after Merle Frohms conceded a questionable penalty, Nikita Parris once again fluffed her lines, the goalkeeper’s outstretched boot sending the central effort onto the roof of the net. But the pressure paid off when Ellen White ghosted behind Sara Doorsoun to toe Kiera Walsh’s chipped ball into the bottom corner.


With the midfield cluttered and the scores level, the match muted itself. As England had most of their success using the width, too much began to be sent through the middle with the visitors the more successful at threading the ball through. Despite the mass of bodies, Germany managed to ping the ball through just before the hour, Earps’ spill sent home by Lina Magull only for the assistant to flag for an obvious offside.

As first Germany, then England made a rash of substitutions the game lost its punch, it was there for the taking but both sides loss their fineness.

The match ending in more of a frenzied fashion after a lull, England with their chances then Germany, who after a flurry broke with teenager Klara Bühl showing strong composure to roll her marker and slot the ball inside of the far post.

Using the full stretch of stoppage time to hunt for a last gasp equaliser, the Lionesses kept the crowd in full voice until the very end but couldn’t find a second goal, no matter how much the crowd rallied behind them.

England: Earps, Bronze, Houghton (c), Williamson, Greenwood, Scott, Nobbs (Stanway ’76), Walsh, Parris (Hemp ’73), White (Taylor ’73), Mead (Daly ’73).
Germany: Frohms, Kleinherne, Doorsoun, Oberdorf (Hegering, ’45), Hendrich, Däbritz (Leupolz ’70), Magull (Lattwein ’84), Marozsán, Bühl, Starke (Knaak ’65), Popp (Bremer ’65) (c).

Goals: Popp ‘9, White ’45, Bühl ’90
Cautions: Doorsoun ‘31, Frohms ‘36, Kleinherne ’51
Referee: Stephanie Frappart
Attendance: 77,768

More in England